Our vineyard stretches across twenty three gently sloped acres overlooking Rangihoua Bay, framed by farmland, lush native bush and regenerated wetlands. The Landing takes its name from the area’s historic location as the place where the earliest Maori and European settlers to New Zealand made landfall, establishing the settlement where Aotearoa’s two cultures – Māori and Pakeha – first lived together.
The land’s suitability for viticulture was quickly identified by the missionary Reverend Samuel Marsden. Marsden established the first permanent European settlement in New Zealand, alongside where our vineyard now sits. He planted what are thought to have been New Zealand’s first grapevines nearby five years later in 1819. Over time, the peninsula’s fertile soils and abundant marine life drew more settlers, and it became a thriving hub of culture and trade for the region.
Since the founding of The Landing Wines in 2007, we have honoured the area’s pioneering spirit with our innovative approach, and respected the land’s beauty and abundance by nurturing and restoring it through sustainable viticulture.